Presidential Office Secretary-General Pan Men-an (潘孟安) yesterday said he is “optimistic” about Washington’s US$14 billion weapons package for Taiwan, and that the government has not yet received any notification of a potential telephone call between President William Lai (賴清德) and US President Donald Trump.
En route to Washington on Friday last week after a state visit to China, Trump said he had not yet decided whether to move forward with the arms package.
He said he and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had “talked a lot about Taiwan” and confirmed that Xi had brought up the weapons sale.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
The government remains optimistic about the arms sale, as defending the First Island Chain and strengthening regional self-defense capabilities and deterrence are in the best interests of the US, Pan said.
Trump on Wednesday told reporters that he planned to speak with Lai, which would mark the first time that a US president has talked to a Taiwanese president since Washington switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.
The government has not received notification of an upcoming conversation, Pan said, adding that Taiwan-US communications remain smooth and unobstructed.
He quoted the US as saying its policy stance on Taiwan has not changed, the “status quo” in the Taiwan Strait remains unchanged and it would continue to discuss arms sales issues with Taipei, not Beijing.
CLOSE COMMUNICATION
Taiwan and the US are maintaining close communication and any updates would be announced by Washington, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US said on Wednesday.
Trump is expected to make a decision on the arms deal soon, a White House official said.
Trump approved a US$11.1 billion arms package to Taiwan in December last year, consistent with US policy since the 1950s, the official said.
In his first term, Trump approved more arms sales to Taiwan than any other US president, they said, adding that in the first year of his second term, Trump approved arms packages of a total value surpassing that authorized by former US president Joe Biden over a four-year term.
A US Department of State spokesperson said that the US’ policy toward Taiwan would remain consistent with its long-standing position over the past 40 years, guided by the Taiwan Relations Act, the Three Joint Communiques and the “six assurances.”
VISIT IN DOUBT
Meanwhile, the Financial Times yesterday reported that Beijing is holding up a proposed visit by US Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Elbridge Colby, as China pressures Trump over the US$14 billion weapons package.
Colby discussed a summer visit to Beijing with Chinese officials, but China has signaled that it cannot approve a visit until Trump decides how to proceed with the arms package, the report said, citing people familiar with the talks.
Additional reporting by Reuters
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not