The Taichung District Court yesterday sentenced a woman to 11 years in prison for defrauding a family of five of more than NT$15 million (US$474,383) and intimidation that led them to commit suicide.
The woman, surnamed Lee (李), was convicted on three counts of fraud for financial gain, extortion through intimidation and contraventions of the Banking Act (銀行法), the court said.
The verdict can be appealed.
Photo: Chen Chien-chih, Taipei Times
The judges found that Lee promised the family a guaranteed 10 percent monthly return on their money.
When the family noticed irregularities and refused to continue investing, Lee fabricated penalty fees and repeatedly sent threatening messages, subjecting the victims to prolonged psychological pressure, the court said.
Lee's actions ultimately led the family of five to commit suicide due to unbearable intimidation and heavy financial stress, it said.
Lee confessed to all offenses during the trial, the court statement said.
Five members of the Wang family were found dead at their Taichung home in July last year — a 62-year-old man, his 63-year-old wife, their two daughters aged 35 and 34, and their 28-year-old son, police said.
Prosecutors found that Lee had defrauded the family through schemes including investments in a group-buying company and gold purchases to exploit differences in prices, after being introduced to the eldest daughter by a woman surnamed Chang (張) in 2024, prosecutors said.
After the family refused further investment, Lee intimidated them into taking a NT$2 million loan from a pawnshop she designated to pay a fabricated penalty, of which she appropriated NT$1.76 million, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors had sought a 15-year prison sentence for Lee.
One of the Wang family's sons-in-law, speaking through Taichung City Councilor Hsieh Chih-chung (謝志忠), said he had hoped the perpetrator would receive the punishment she deserves, but the sentence was clearly inconsistent with society's expectations.
Hsieh told reporters after attending the trial that the case involved a structured criminal network, including Lee, the group-buying organizer, Chang, underground lenders and violent debt collectors. He was the first to bring the case to light.
Lin Chyong-jia (林瓊嘉), the lawyer representing the Wang family, said the defendant acted out of greed and fabricated false debts that led to five deaths, calling it an egregious act.
Family members would ask prosecutors to appeal, Lin said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not