The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has raised the level of its Ebola travel advisory for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DR Congo) and Uganda, urging medical providers to ask patients about their travel and exposure history.
In raising its travel advisory for the DR Congo and Uganda from “watch” to “alert,” the CDC urged travelers to “take enhanced precautionary measures” in regions experiencing Ebola outbreaks.
More than 500 suspected cases, including 130 suspected deaths, have been reported in the DR Congo, with 30 confirmed cases, while Uganda has also confirmed two imported cases, according to Tuesday’s Ebola update from the WHO.
Photo: Lo Bi, Taipei Times
The WHO has determined that the Ebola outbreak in the DR Congo and Uganda constitutes a public health emergency of international concern, but does not qualify as a pandemic emergency.
Unlike other Ebola strains with vaccines developed from past outbreaks, the Bundibugyo strain driving the current outbreak has no vaccines or specific treatments for prevention or cure, CDC spokesperson Tseng Shu-hui (曾淑慧) said yesterday.
Travelers to Ebola-affected regions should not touch the blood, bodily fluids or secretions of suspected or confirmed cases, attend funerals or handle corpses, or come in contact with bats, primates or other wild animals, Tseng said.
They should also maintain proper hand hygiene and respiratory practices, she said.
Tseng said the CDC considers the Ebola outbreak’s threat to Taiwan relatively low at this time.
Nevertheless, the CDC has issued a notice to medical providers, reminding them to check patients’ travel, occupation, contact and cluster histories, Tseng said.
Travelers returning from the DR Congo, Uganda and neighboring nations should monitor their health for 21 days, which is the incubation period of the Ebola virus, she said.
If symptoms appear, People should promptly contact local health authorities or call the 1922 epidemic prevention hotline, she added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not