National Taipei University of Technology today said it has launched an investigation into a professor, after a graduate student committed suicide amid accusations of mistreatment and disputes over their thesis.
The university said that it has suspended the teacher’s instructional and non-urgent advising duties, with any disciplinary action pending the investigation results.
A friend of the deceased student said on social media that their suicide may have been related to their advisor’s mistreatment.
The friend attached screenshots as evidence to show that the professor frequently changed directions on the student’s thesis and research plan, revising the topic four times since January.
The university said it expressed its sincere condolences to the family after receiving notification yesterday, adding that faculty and students are deeply grieved by the loss.
The Office of Student Affairs has contacted the student’s family and set up a dedicated contact window to maintain close communication, assist with follow-up matters and provide support, the university said.
The university is taking the matter very seriously, adhering to the highest principles of responsibility and objectivity, and has launched an investigation and reported the incident, it said.
To ensure fairness and protect students’ rights, the school said it has taken decisive administrative action regarding the faculty member involved.
For essential academic matters such as graduation requirements or thesis defenses while the professor is suspended, the department chair and relevant administrators would jointly participate, it said.
Determining any responsibility would depend on the results of the investigation and relevant punishment would be handled in accordance with legal procedures, the university said.
The university’s counseling center would provide psychological counseling and follow-up assistance for students, faculty and peers affected by the incident, it added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not