The Highway Bureau today launched a photography competition inviting Taiwanese travelers returning home to capture views of the Danjiang Bridge (淡江大橋) from airplane windows, with prizes including up to NT$40,000 and round-trip tickets to Japan.
The “Capture the New Gateway” competition is organized by the bureau and the Chinese Aviation Development Foundation (CADF), with support from China Airlines.
Submissions are due by noon on Aug. 20.
Photo: CNA
The contest is divided into two categories: photography and short videos limited to 15 to 30 seconds, the bureau said.
CADF is offering generous prizes and aviation-themed gifts, including NT$40,000 for first place, NT$30,000 for second place and NT$20,000 for third place in each category, as well as five NT$5,000 honorable mentions for each category.
China Airlines is sponsoring additional awards, selecting one winner from each category to receive a round-trip economy-class flight ticket from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport to a destination of their choice in Japan.
Any participant who uploads an entry would be entered into a public raffle sponsored by China Airlines, with 10 winners receiving NT$2,500 each.
The airline is also offering special-edition aircraft models for three winners in both categories, as well as selected in-flight gifts for 10 winners in each category.
All Taiwanese nationals returning home during the submission period are eligible to enter, provided they keep their electronic ticket, boarding pass or other proof of travel, the bureau said.
Submissions can be uploaded online before the deadline at noon on Aug. 20 and the award ceremony is scheduled for late September, it said.
Danjiang Bridge is a new national landmark that highlights engineering, design and urban identity, the bureau said, adding that it is the world’s longest single-mast asymmetric cable-stayed bridge.
The bureau hopes passengers can view and photograph this new symbol of Taiwan from the air, it said.
The competition would encourage people to identify the bridge as a homecoming symbol, creating an emotional connection with the 211m-tall landmark, the foundation said.
More information can be found on the CADF’s official Web site or on the event’s Accupass page, where entries can be submitted, the bureau said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a