The Ministry of Education plans to hold its first survey on youth living conditions next year, with the final report in 2028 expected to serve as an important basis for future policymaking, the ministry said in a written report to the Legislative Yuan.
As Article 27 of the Youth Basic Act (青年基本法), passed in December last year, stipulates that the government must publish statistics on young people every four years, the ministry said it would accordingly hold its inaugural national survey on youth living conditions.
While the government conducts surveys on the living conditions of children, adolescents and seniors, it lacks comprehensive and systematic nationwide data on young people as a whole, defined in the act as those aged 18 to 35, it said.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
There is a need to establish a monitoring system to better understand this group’s actual circumstances in education, employment, housing, finances, mental health and civic participation, the ministry said.
The youth survey would be modeled after existing surveys on children, adolescents and seniors, which typically take about two years from planning to releasing the final report, it said.
The ministry said it is to devise the survey from January to July next year, conduct preparatory work and train interviewees from August to September, and hold a pilot survey in October, before holding the official survey from November to December, collecting at least 2,000 responses.
The data would then be reviewed, analyzed and compiled, with the final report scheduled to be completed between September and December 2028, it added.
Youth policy should be based on evidence and research, the ministry said, adding that systematic surveys could provide a clearer understanding of young people’s needs and challenges, serving as an important reference for developing public policies.
Young people are the basis of the nation’s future development and drive social innovation and sustainable transformation, the ministry said.
As the population declines, labor structures shift and technology develops, the youth survey would have staying power as a reference tool, it said.
By conducting the survey every four years, the government would assess whether policies address the needs of young people and help build a better environment for them to develop, it added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a