The son of entertainers Sun Peng (孫鵬) and Di Ying (狄鶯) was taken into custody yesterday on suspicion of committing offenses including endangering public safety, after he posted a video on social media showing himself using a homemade flamethrower.
In a video uploaded on Thursday last week, Sun An-tso (孫安佐), 25, is seen firing a flamethrower into the air. The video stoked widespread uproar and sparked a police investigation, with Sun brought in for questioning by prosecutors on Saturday.
The Shilin District Court yesterday approved prosecutors’ request to have Sun An-tso detained and held incommunicado following a brief hearing.
Photo: Wang Wen-lin, Taipei Times
The court ruled there was strong suspicion he had committed offenses including intimidating the public, public endangerment, illegal possession of a non-standard hunting firearm under the Firearms, Ammunition and Knives Control Act (槍砲彈藥刀械管制條例) and illegal possession of imitation firearms.
The court said there were concerns Sun could collude with others or destroy evidence.
Police said the flamethrower exceeded the range and power of ordinary civilian-use devices and was tested near Beitou Creek, near public roads and residential areas, raising public safety concerns.
Police searching his residence on Saturday discovered two firearms, including one modified weapon that preliminary testing suggested could be lethal. The weapon has been sent for examination and the case could be upgraded to illegal possession of a functional firearm if testing confirms it meets the legal standard for lethality, they said.
Sun An-tso was quoted by police as saying that he had researched firearms for several years, teaching himself online and purchasing parts through online vendors. He added he was unaware his actions were illegal.
His manager, Chen Yu-chung (陳昱中), also a defendant in the case, is being investigated on suspicion of intimidating the public and public endangerment offenses. Prosecutors said Chen was found in possession of marijuana and is being investigated under the Narcotics Hazard Prevention Act (毒品危害防制條例).
Chen was released on NT$30,000 bail yesterday and barred from leaving the country.
Sun An-tso was previously arrested in the US in 2018 after threatening to commit a school shooting. Authorities recovered more than 1,600 rounds of ammunition, rifle magazines and a homemade handgun assembled from parts purchased online.
He pleaded guilty to a US federal ammunition charge, was sentenced to time served and deported from the country.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a