The magnitude 5.1 earthquake that hit Nantou County yesterday morning was an isolated event, according to the Central Weather Administration (CWA), but warned of possible aftershocks measuring between magnitude 4 and 4.5 for the next week.
According to the agency, the earthquake struck at 8:46am at a depth of 15.5km. The epicenter was located 33.5km east-northeast of Nantou County Hall, in Puli Township, where it was rated a 4 on Taiwan’s 7-tier scale.
CWA’s Seismological Center section chief Chen Da-yi (陳達毅) said at a news conference that the earthquake was caused by collision of the Philippine Sea Plate with the Eurasian Plate.
Photo courtesy of the Central Weather Administration
The temblor’s epicenter was located in an area with relatively active seismic activity, where long-term stress accumulation and fracturing in geological formations triggered the quake, Chen said.
He said that the Seismological Center issued national-level alerts for Nantou County, Changhua County and Taichung in response to the earthquake.
“Although the earthquake registered an intensity of 4 near the epicenter, the shaking did not last long,” Chen said.
The seismologist added that the quake has been regarded as a single, isolated seismic event. However, he cautioned that aftershocks measuring between magnitude 4 and 4.5 could still occur during the next week.
Chen said that since 2000, there have been 15 earthquakes of magnitude 5 or above within a 30-kilometer radius of yesterday’s epicenter, with the previous one occurring in 2021.
While yesterday’s earthquake did not occur in an area without a history of seismic activity, under such conditions where seismic activity already exists, stress accumulation in relatively fragile geological zones can cause deformation, Chen said. When the stress exceeds what the rocks can withstand, ruptures occur and energy is released, he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a