The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is slated to hold a meeting on Tuesday next week as party lawmakers debate the special defense budget.
The Cabinet in November last year proposed a special budget of NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.46 billion) to fund domestic weapons systems and US arms packages.
It covers eight US weapons systems costing US$11.1 billion announced by Washington in December last year, undisclosed items and domestically manufactured weapons, notably drones and the “T-Dome” air defense system.
Photo: Lo Pei-de, Taipei Times
The KMT proposed a “NT$380 billion plus N” budget, with N referring to funds that could be allocated after receiving letters of acceptance for arms sales from the US.
The Taiwan People’s Party’s (TPP) version of the budget set a ceiling of NT$400 billion.
Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) is scheduled to lead another cross-caucus negotiation on the budget on Wednesday next week.
Taichung Mayor Lu Shiow-yen (盧秀燕) said in an interview with the Liberty Times (sister paper of the Taipei Times) in late March that it would be reasonable to set the amount at between NT$800 billion and NT$1 trillion.
Senior KMT member and former Broadcasting Corp of China chairman Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康) said he supports an NT$810 billion special defense budget, but proposed first approving NT$350 billion tied to existing US arms sale offers and freezing the remaining NT$460 billion until new US offers are issued.
KMT Legislator Hsu Chiao-hsin (徐巧芯) has previously proposed a budget of NT$800 billion.
The KMT party headquarters, meanwhile, insisted on the “NT$380 billion plus N” proposal.
At a gathering of the KMT’s Central Standing Committee on Wednesday, Chi Lin-lien (季麟連), a 78-year-old retired ROC Marine Corps general and one of the KMT’s four deputy chairs, reiterated his support for the “NT$380 billion plus N” plan and said Han should be expelled from the party for his alleged support for a larger special budget.
Local media reports suggested that, before a KMT caucus meeting that took place on the same day, party officials had mobilized contacts to lobby KMT legislators. However, during the meeting, opinions were split between those supporting the NT$800 billion proposal and those backing the party’s proposed “NT$380 billion plus N” version.
According to sources, among the attending KMT lawmakers, around 20 supported the NT$800 billion figure, seven backed the “NT$380 billion plus N” version, and five remained undecided. Most legislators planning to run for mayor in the year-end elections said that they could not support the “NT$380 billion plus N” plan, sources added.
At one point, a lawmaker suggested a recorded vote, but party leaders adjourned the meeting without reaching a conclusion, leaving the matter to be discussed at a later date, they said.
KMT caucus whip Fu Kun-chi (傅?萁) told reporters after the meeting that the next Legislative Yuan session would be held on Friday next week, which leaves time for further discussions.
“The caucus is committed to conducting the most democratic communication possible and, once a consensus is reached, will report to the public as quickly as possible,” he said.
With the KMT divided and some voices arguing that anyone who supports a budget exceeding NT$380 billion aligns with pro-US factions and acts as a “CIA stooge,” Lu said in response to media queries yesterday that “harmony at home brings prosperity to all.”
“Whether it’s a city, a family, a nation, or any organization, only with harmony can everything thrive,” she said.
New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜) of the KMT yesterday said that people might disagree on the budget, but defending Taiwan must come first.
“Without that capability, discussions of peace are meaningless,” he said.
When asked which version he supports, Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) of the KMT yesterday said he backs bolstering Taiwan’s defense while calling for open discussion.
“The most important thing is for the party caucus to fully exchange views and reach a consensus before making a decision,” he said.
Additional reporting by Tsai Shu-yuan, Wong Yu-huang, Kan Meng-lin and CNA
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has