A group of employers took to the streets on Workers’ Day yesterday to demand the abolition of the replacement wait period for caregivers and the introduction of mandatory security deposits, criticizing the government for insufficient long-term care capacity.
The alliance, formed of families employing migrant caregivers, raised four demands at a news conference outside the Ministry of Education: scrapping the replacement wait period and the employment stabilization fee, mandating prepaid airfare deposits and ending “one-stop” training sessions.
The total cost of hiring a migrant caregiver can reach NT$40,000 per month, which is considerable for families in need, alliance convener Lin Ping-yang (林秉洋) said.
Photo: CNA
Monthly expenses, including wages and bonuses for not taking days off, amount to about NT$25,000 to NT$30,000, while food and accommodation cost another NT$15,000 to NT$25,000, Lin said, adding that there is also a monthly employment stabilization fee of NT$2,000.
Despite rising costs, the quality of care has declined, he said, adding that now, unsuitable caregivers can linger in the home under the protection of the wait period.
Under regulations, employers often face months-long wait periods to replace workers who abscond or become involved in transfer disputes, he said.
Once a worker is confirmed to have gone missing or transferred by mutual agreement, the government should immediately approve a replacement, he said.
Imposing an “administrative penalty” leaves care recipients and their families to shoulder the consequences, Lin said.
Airfare costs for migrant workers who complete their contracts or are deported are almost entirely borne by employers, creating significant financial risk and inequity, he said.
Lin urged the government to amend the law to establish a mandatory airfare insurance mechanism so that ticket costs would be covered by a deposit if a worker returns home legally or is deported.
It is absurd that employers are forced to pay for workers’ contraventions, he added.
Many people must hire migrant workers to support older family members, but flawed government regulations have tilted the balance of power in favor of workers, Taiwan Solidarity Union Chairwoman Chou Ni-an (周倪安) said.
The government has continually expanded migrant workers’ rights on the grounds of human rights, making it increasingly tough for employers, she said.
The National Health Insurance (NHI) and labor insurance systems are sustained by citizens’ contributions, yet benefits are extended to foreigners who work in Taiwan for only short periods, she said.
Despite enjoying extensive rights, some migrant workers do not honor their contracts, she said, adding that the use of the employment stabilization fund should be made transparent or the fee should be abolished.
The Ministry of Labor did not respond to a request for comment as of press time last night.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has