The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) would not oppose an NT$800 billion (US$25.4 billion) special military budget, provided the US issues Taiwan official letters of offer and acceptance (LOAs) for arms purchases, party Chairwoman Cheng Li-wun (鄭麗文) said yesterday.
Cheng made the remarks in an interview with online news outlet CNEWS, in which she called the Cabinet’s proposal of NT$1.25 trillion over eight years a “blank check.”
Confirmed LOAs would account for about US$11 billion, which the KMT would prioritize approving, she said.
Photo: Screen grab from CNEWS’ YouTube channel
An LOA is a binding document confirming that a foreign government agrees to buy military equipment under a regulated government program, and gives the US government the authority to contract US weapons firms to manufacture and acquire the systems.
Cheng said that as most of the Cabinet’s proposal lacked clarity on where the money would go or what it would be used for, the KMT could not endorse it, adding that the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lacked credibility.
“So if it [the DPP] expects us to approve a NT$1.25 trillion blank check, they should give up that idea; it is absolutely impossible,” she said.
The KMT is offering a “practical solution” with its “NT$380 billion plus N” proposal, Cheng said.
The “plus N” portion means waiting until the US issues LOAs for arms sales to propose relevant budgets, subject to legislative approval.
The initial NT$380 billion would be sufficient to cover the US$11.1 billion in arms packages approved for sale to Taiwan by the US in December last year, Cheng said.
“People have been saying there is a second round of US arms purchases, for US$14 billion. If that is added in, it would raise the potential costs to NT$800 billion, although some said it would be NT$900 billion,” she said.
“So, as you can see, the number is uncertain, because there is no official figure. It has become a matter of speculation, based on media reports and statements,” which is why the KMT put forth the “plus N” proposal, she added.
Some people say that once the US Congress approves the US$14 billion package, an LOA would follow immediately, Cheng said.
“If that is the case, then that would be great, because we have already agreed to ‘plus N,’” she said.
The KMT would “absolutely not delay” budget reviews for the new LOAs, but would oversee them carefully as required, she added.
Additional reporting by CNA
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has