A battalion commander has been disciplined with two demerits for screening a Chinese propaganda movie for troops at an army camp in Yilan County, the Ministry of National Defense confirmed today.
The Chinese movie The Eight Hundred (八佰), a war film about Chinese Nationalist soldiers during the 1937 Battle of Shanghai, has been criticized for “united front” messaging, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Wang Ting-yu (王定宇) said during a legislative committee meeting.
The commander in January streamed the movie from YouTube for soldiers at the Sixth Army Command’s Jinliujie Camp (金六結營區), Army Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Chen Chien-yi (陳建義) said.
Photo: CNA
It was shown without obtaining approval at least one day in advance, as per protocol, Major General Shih Shun-wen (史順文) said.
It was also screened during a recent reservist call-up on a tour bus, Wang added.
As the film features the Republic of China flag and national anthem, the commander failed to realize that it was packaged as Chinese Communist Party (CCP) propaganda, Chen said.
The CCP continues to use cognitive warfare tactics against Taiwan’s armed forces, including recruiting low-level military personnel and distorting perceptions as to who is the enemy and who they are fighting for, he said.
The armed forces have implemented various ideological education measures to help counter these attempts, Chen added.
The army said it was an “isolated incident” due to an individual commander’s lapse in judgement.
Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said he would urge the entire armed forces to strengthen ideological education and review related disciplinary procedures.
The same camp came under fire earlier this month after it was revealed that a commander had been removed from his post for publicly humiliating a Taiwanese-Japanese conscript for his nationality during basic training, calling him a “Japanese devil.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a