Several lawmakers from Germany and Italy on Friday raised concerns over China pressuring three island countries to revoke overflight rights for President William Lai’s (賴清德) charter, which led to the cancelation of his planned trip to Eswatini this week.
On Tuesday, less than one day before Lai was to travel to Taiwan’s sole African diplomatic ally, Eswatini, the Presidential Office announced it had been forced to suspend the visit, citing “economic coercion” by China, after nations on the flight path of Lai’s trip, Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar, had rescinded their overflight permissions.
German Member of Parliament (MP) Klaus-Peter Willsch expressed concern on social media that China’s growing political pressure was extending to international air travel and said countries should not remain silent.
Photo: Screen grab from the Eswatini government’s Facebook page
Willsch, who is also chairman of the German parliamentary aviation and space group, said Lai’s flight was made impossible at short notice, because Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar, under the influence of Beijing, refused the to provide necessary overflight rights.
“The process is clear evidence of China’s growing political pressure, even in international air travel,” he said. “When flying rights are denied for geopolitical motives, it is a direct attack on the basic principles of the Chicago Convention.”
Whoever instrumentalizes those principles jeopardizes safety, stability and trust in global aviation, he added.
Taiwan has for years been subject to air traffic pressure from Beijing, Willsch said, adding that it was depressing to see that Taipei continues to be excluded from the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), although he has repeatedly advocated for its inclusion.
“Silence is not an option,” he said, adding that he supports Taiwan, a lighthouse of democracy and an essential partner in international aviation, inclusion in the ICAO.
Separately, Italian Senate Vice President Gian Marco Centinaio said Lai, who was democratically elected in Taiwan, and all Taiwanese should be able to enjoy the right to travel freely and maintain international relations with its diplomatic allies.
Several Italian lawmakers also voiced concerns and support for Taiwan, such as Italian Senator Isabella De Monte, who called the incident “an act of coercion that wounds international diplomacy.”
Italian MP Alessandro Cattaneo said that “when political pressure dictates who can fly and who cannot, it’s not just a flight that’s blocked, it’s diplomacy that’s undermined. What happened on the route to Eswatini is a serious precedent.”
Meanwhile, Italian MP Fabrizio Benzoni called it “a worrying episode that raises doubts about respect for international rules and diplomatic freedom,” and said “Taiwan must be able to dialogue with the world without interference.”
In Taipei, the French Office in Taipei (Bureau Francais de Taipei) and the German Institute in Taiwan called for safe, orderly and predictable civil aviation operations.
France’s and Germany’s representative offices in Taiwan issued the same statement on social media, saying: “We recall that decisions related to the management of airspace should be guided by considerations of safety and stability.”
“Overflight rights constitute a fundamental aspect of international civil aviation. We attach great importance to maintaining safe, orderly and predictable civil aviation operations, in accordance with the Chicago Convention,” they said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a