Amid public concern over the government’s plan to bring Indian workers to Taiwan, the Ministry of Labor (MOL) pointed to past intake and said that public safety remained stable.
Minister of Labor Hung Sun-han (洪申翰) on April 9 told the legislature that the first group of Indian workers could arrive as early as the end of this year.
Taiwan and India signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) in February 2024 to address Taiwan’s labor shortage. The MOU was sent to the Legislative Yuan for review in mid-2024 and received cross-party backing, prompting the MOL to begin follow-up negotiations with India, Hung said.
Photo: Reuters
Public concern has subsequently surfaced, with a petition launched on the National Development Council’s public policy participation platform. The petition calls for a halt to the plan and referenced fears among some in Taiwan about the risk of Indian workers comitting sexual violence.
Some others argued that Taiwan already faces serious issues with undocumented migrant workers and should not expand labor sources without first addressing those problems.
Latest data from the MOL showed that, as of the end of March, there were approximately 873,000 migrant workers in Taiwan. Indonesians accounted for the largest share at 37.3 percent, followed by Vietnamese at 33.7 percent. In the manufacturing sector, 40 percent of migrant workers are from Vietnam, while in social welfare positions, such as domestic caregivers, as many as 70 percent are Indonesian workers.
The MOL said that, in addition to Taiwan’s irreversible trends of an aging population and declining birthrate, the labor shortage crisis would continue to grow each year. Compared with countries like Japan, South Korea and Singapore, which each have migrant workers from more than 10 different source countries, Taiwan relies on just four — Thailand, the Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia, it said.
If any of these countries were to temporarily halt labor exports due to policy or international developments, it would create a “labor shortage national security crisis” for Taiwan’s industries and care systems, it said.
Expanding Taiwan’s sources of migrant workers is intended to give employers “more options,” but the choice of which country to hire from would remain up to them, it said, adding the recruitment process still follows a “nationals first” principle, requiring employers to attempt to hire local workers before applying for migrant labor. Migrant workers are meant to fill gaps in physically demanding, dirty or dangerous jobs in manufacturing, construction and agriculture, without opening new industries to migrant labor, it said
The government would start with a small-scale pilot of about 1,000 workers, with future expansion dependent on its success, it added.
Concerns that bringing in Indian migrant workers could lead to more sex crimes or a strain on Taiwan’s labor and health insurance systems are unfounded, the MOL said.
Experience from Japan and Singapore show that public safety did not deteriorate after recruiting Indian workers, it said, adding that a recent survey in Japan even ranked Indian workers as the third most welcomed group among foreign laborers.
All recruits must provide a “certificate of good conduct” from the Indian government and pass Taiwan’s strict screening process, the MOL said.
It also said that migrant workers are “net contributors” to the insurance system as they are young, stay only temporarily, rarely use health services and most return home before collecting pensions.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a