Further assessment of international policies on smoking is required, with any policies considered or implemented ultimately keeping citizens’ health, public consensus and viability in mind, the Ministry of Health and Welfare said yesterday.
The comments came in light of the UK parliament’s passage of the Tobacco and Vapes Bill on Monday, which has been forwarded to King Charles III for royal assent.
The bill would prohibit the sale of tobacco to all people born on or after Jan. 1, 2009.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Minister of Health and Welfare Shih Chung-liang (石崇良) said that such policies represent a significant change and would require broader public discussion, adding that he has asked the Health Promotion Administration (HPA) to assess their viability.
The HPA said various actions have been taken internationally to prevent tobacco hazards, many of which are based on the social and public health needs of the individual country.
Taiwan’s Tobacco Hazard Prevention Act (菸害防治法) is tackling the issue at the source, it said.
The act has banned all e-cigarettes and has stepped up school promotions, and inspections, restricted online sales and allowed clinics to provide nicotine patches or similar items to help combat withdrawal, it added.
Citing investigation results on smoking habits from 2024, the HPA said that adult smoking rates have dropped 41.6 percent since 2008.
However, the prevalence of smoking in men gradually increases after the age of 18, while there is a gradual increase in the number of female smokers between the ages of 40 and 49, it said.
Differences in smoking habits in different age brackets vary, and care must be taken when it comes to young people, it added.
Regarding secondhand smoke exposure indoors, the HPA said that for those aged 18 and older it dropped to 3.2 percent in 2024.
However, the number of people smoking outside has briefly spiked outdoor secondhand exposure rates, which have only recently exhibited a downward trend, it said.
Tobacco is a well-known carcinogen, and exposure to the substance, regardless of amount, brings with it accompanying risks, Shih said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not