National Security Bureau (NSB) Director-General Tsai Ming-yen (蔡明彥) this week visited the Kingdom of Eswatini to inspect security arrangements ahead of President William Lai’s (賴清德) upcoming state visit to the African ally, the bureau said yesterday.
Tsai met with King Mswati III to convey Lai’s regards ahead of upcoming celebrations marking the 40th anniversary of the king’s accession to the throne.
The king welcomed Lai’s participation in the celebrations and said that the presidential visit highlights solid diplomatic ties between the two nations, the bureau said.
Photo courtesy of the National Security Bureau
The trip would allow Lai to witness the progress of major Taiwan-backed infrastructure projects, including the Taiwan Industrial Innovation Park and strategic oil reserve facilities, it cited the king as saying.
Both initiatives are currently being implemented, and aim to boost Eswatini’s economic development and energy security, the bureau said.
Tsai also met with Eswatini Deputy Prime Minister Thulisile Dladla, who thanked Taiwan for sharing critical criminal intelligence and providing capacity-building training for local forces, the bureau added.
Eswatini dismantled a large-scale transnational fraud syndicate, arresting about 200 Chinese nationals, it cited Dladla as saying.
The incident, which drew serious concerns and investigators from Interpol, has significantly impacted security across several African nations, she said.
In response, Tsai underscored the need to expand bilateral cooperation, deepen security partnerships and foster intelligence exchanges to jointly combat international crime and illegal Chinese infiltration, the bureau said.
Tsai held further discussions with Eswatini’s security and police chiefs to finalize protective deployments for Lai’s visit.
With heads of state and dignitaries from more than 10 countries expected to attend the celebrations, diplomatic protocols and security planning are more complex than previous years, it said.
Eswatini authorities are committed to supporting the bureau to ensure the safety and success of Lai’s first presidential visit to the African continent, the bureau added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a