Taoyuan International Airport Corp (TIAC) yesterday said it would implement measures to manage traffic at the nation’s largest airport, as it expects more than 920,000 travelers during the Tomb Sweeping holiday.
The airport operator would implement the measures from tomorrow until Tuesday next week over the six-day holiday, TIAC senior vice president Tony Yu (余崇立) told a news conference in Taipei.
The daily average would be up 12.1 percent compared with the same period last year, he said.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
The peak of outbound tourists would be on Friday, with passenger volume projected to reach up to 162,000, setting a record for air travel during the Tomb Sweeping holiday, Yu said.
The peak of inbound travelers would be on Monday next week, when about 159,000 passengers are scheduled to arrive, he said.
Travelers are advised to arrive at the airport at least three hours before boarding, complete check-in online and use electronic gates for passport checks, he said.
The airport’s passenger volume for this year reached 10.01 million on March 10, surpassing 10 million eight days earlier than last year and seven days earlier than in 2019, showing that air travel in Taiwan has grown steadily and stably, Yu said.
To help passengers better manage their time, TIAC has introduced an artificial intelligence-powered system that provides outbound passengers an estimated time for them to complete baggage and passport checks, he said.
People can see the estimated waiting time for security check before entering the inspection area, information that would also be available on the airport’s official app, he said.
Meanwhile, EVA Airways and China Airlines yesterday began enforcing new restrictions on portable power banks, limiting passengers to two devices in carry-on luggage and banning their use during flights, while Starlux Airlines and Tigerair Taiwan said they would adopt the rules today.
Following updated safety guidance from the International Civil Aviation Organization, the Civil Aviation Administration convened local airlines to roll out standardized protocols.
Yu said the airport is assisting with public awareness efforts.
Lithium batteries and power banks remain banned from checked baggage due to fire risks, while security checks would ensure compliance in carry-on luggage.
Airport retailers in restricted departure areas have also been asked to inform customers of the two-device limit and the in-flight charging ban at the point of sale, Yu added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not