The US has agreed to Taiwan’s request to defer the deadline for an initial payment on a key US-made weapons system amid a budget impasse, Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) yesterday told lawmakers at the Legislative Yuan.
Koo confirmed that the first payment for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) could be postponed beyond yesterday’s deadline, likely to about May when the US expects to finalize a contract with a supplier for the US$4.05 billion sale.
The military was also in talks with the US for payment deferrals for three other weapons systems also approved for sale to Taiwan, but similarly facing budget issues, he said.
Photo: CNA
The initial payments for the four planned purchases total approximately US$79 million, Koo said.
The US on Dec. 17 last year announced the sale of the HIMARS; M109A7 self-propelled howitzers (US$4.03 billion); tube-launched, optically tracked, wire command link guided anti-tank missiles (US$353 million); and Javelin missiles (US$375 million) as part of a broader US$11.1 billion arms package.
The US sent letters of offer and acceptance (LOAs) for the four weapons systems early last month and this month, which Taiwan needed to sign by March 15 and Thursday last week respectively, followed by a first payment on each system.
An LOA is a binding document confirming that a foreign government agrees to purchase military equipment under a regulated US program. It also authorizes the US government to contract with defense manufacturers to procure the systems.
The legislature authorized the Cabinet to sign the LOAs just before the March 15 deadline, even though funding for the first payment had yet to be secured.
The ruling Democratic Progressive Party government wants to pay for most of the systems in the US$11.1 billion arms package and other big-ticket defense needs through a NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.07 billion) supplementary budget.
However, that remains in limbo because of a lack of support from opposition parties.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and Taiwan People’s Party, which together hold a majority in the Legislative Yuan, have proposed their own supplementary defense bills of NT$380 billion and NT$400 billion respectively, with no compromise seemingly in sight.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not