The Taipei stage of the 2026 Tour de Taiwan kicked off yesterday with an opening ceremony in front of the Presidential Office, marking the start of Taiwan’s only international professional road cycling race.
Speaking at the ceremony, Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) said the Taipei stage is the only city circuit race in the event. This year’s race started on Ketagalan Boulevard, with riders completing nine laps totaling about 80 kilometers through central Taipei.
The route takes cyclists past major landmarks including the Presidential Office and Jingfu Gate, as well as the tree-lined Renai Road, before finishing back on Ketagalan Boulevard.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
Chiang said the event, registered as a Class 2.1 race by the Union Cycliste Internationale, helps showcase Taipei and Taiwan to global audiences through sports and live broadcasts.
According to the Taipei City Government, the race has attracted more than 100 riders from 24 domestic and international professional teams representing around 40 countries including, for the first time, a top-tier UCI WorldTeam.
The five-stage race runs from yesterday to March 19 and covers about 635 kilometers. In addition to stages in Taipei, Taoyuan, Kaohsiung and Liudui (六堆) area in Pingtung, this year’s race also returns to eastern Taiwan after 15 years, with a stage along the scenic “Blissful Route 9” corridor.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a