Lawmakers yesterday passed the second reading of a motion that would authorize the disbursement of NT$71.8 billion (US$2.27 billion) for 38 projects under the central government budget.
The motion passed 54 to 29.
Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) said that the legislature had approved early release of funds for the designated new capital expenditure and projects in this year’s central government budget, citing their “urgency and significant impact on public livelihood.”
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
The projects include subsidies to address Taiwan’s low birthrate, funding for the T-Pass program, and flood control and water management initiatives.
The motion, proposed by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Taiwan People’s Party (TPP), was fast-tracked to the second reading and cross-party negotiations on Jan. 16, bypassing committee review.
The opposition parties convened cross-party negotiations on Jan. 22, but failed to reach a consensus with the executive branch and ruling party lawmakers.
Lawmakers this morning reached a consensus to vote on the bill after a month-long cooling-off period.
Executive Yuan spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said there is no precedent for splitting the general budget.
The central government budget and the special defense budget are designed as integrated administrative plans and should not be fragmented, Lee said, urging political parties to unite and engage in rational deliberations.
It is regrettable that the central government budget — which is essential for national construction and public services — has still not been referred to legislative committees for review, she said.
The budget bill should undergo three readings, according to Article 7 of the Act Governing the Legislative Yuan’s Power (立法院職權行使法), she said, calling the passage of the second reading of the motion unprecedented.
Citing the urgency of the new projects, she urged legislative caucuses across party lines to begin substantive review of the general budget as soon as possible and complete the required legal procedures.
Additional reporting by Chung Li-hua
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not