The Taipei City Government today announced it has officially inked a deal with Nvidia Corp to build the company’s Taiwan headquarters in the Beitou-Shilin Technology Park.
“Taipei is Nvidia’s home,” Taipei Mayor Chiang Wan-an (蔣萬安) told reporters while presenting the signed contract to reporters.
The city aims for construction to begin in June or July, he added.
Photo: CNA
The contract establishes a 50-year lease for land rights and a maximum extension of 20 years, with royalties totaling NT$12.2 billion (US$388.4 million), Chiang said.
The amount includes NT$1.2 billion to be absorbed by Nvidia as part of a settlement reached after the city government terminated its contract with Shin Kong Life Insurance Co, Deputy Taipei Mayor Lee Shu-chuan (李四川) said on Friday last week.
According to a plan submitted by Nvidia, construction of the headquarters is expected to cost more than NT$40 billion, and create more than 10,000 jobs once operational, Chiang said.
Asked whether Nvidia plans to construct additional office space on the plot designated for Zhoumei Elementary School, Chiang said he has not received any information on the matter.
However, should the company plan to do so, the city government would provide its full support, he added.
The city has since last year been preparing for Nvidia to build its Taiwan headquarters in the technology park.
Shin Kong Life previously had a contract with the Taipei City Government for development rights to the desired T17 and T18 plots.
In October last year, Shin Kong Life relinquished the rights, prompting the city to reimburse the insurer NT$4.4 billion in royalties.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a