The Executive Yuan today approved amendments to the Animal Protection Act (動物保護法) that would increase penalties for animal abuse and animal abuse resulting in death.
The amendments would increase liability for pet owners, requiring them to report lost pets to their local administration within five days or face penalties for animal abandonment, with fines rising to up to NT$1 million (US$31,650).
For serious cases of physical abuse, the use of firearms or other cruel means resulting in an animal’s death, the penalty would be increased by up to half.
Photo: Tsai Wen-chu, Taipei Times
The amendments proposed by the Ministry of Agriculture are to be submitted to the Legislative Yuan for review.
They would place greater responsibility and liability on owners to prevent pets from being abandoned without a legitimate reason or passed on to government agencies.
Pets sent to animal shelters would have to meet specific conditions or owners would be liable for abandoning them, the amendments state.
Failure to report a lost pet within five days, without legitimate reasons such as injury or hospitalization of the owner, would also be considered abandonment, they state.
The measure would prevent owners from repeatedly claiming that pets are “lost” during animal protection investigations by local authorities, the amendments say.
If the amendments are passed, the penalty for abandoning pets would be increased from NT$30,000 to NT$150,000 to NT$100,000 to NT$1 million.
Criminal penalties for animal abuse would also be increased from up to two years in prison to a maximum of five years, with fines to increase from NT$200,000 to NT$2 million to NT$300,000 to NT$3 million, the amendments state.
Animal abuse resulting in death is at present punishable by a prison sentence of one to five years and a fine of NT$500,000 to NT$5 million, but only in serious instances in which multiple animals are killed.
The amendments would revise the provision so that anyone who kills an animal using a firearm, violence or other cruel means under serious circumstances would have their sentence increased by up to half.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a