Prosecutors today recommended a 12-year sentence for a Kaohsiung man accused of hitting his girlfriend’s four-year-old boy against a wall, causing extensive brain damage and leaving him in a vegetative state.
It marks the first case to be prosecuted under the new “Kai Kai amendments,” introduced after a one-year-old boy nicknamed Kai Kai (愷愷) was killed in December 2023 by his two nannies.
Earlier this year, one of the abusers was handed a life sentence, while the other was given an 18-year prison sentence.
Photo courtesy of police
The case sparked reform in punishments for child abuse and child abuse resulting in death.
Amendments passed on July 18 to Article 286 of the Criminal Code call for a minimum 10-year sentence for those who mistreat and seriously injure a child under the age of seven.
The Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office indicted the 26-year-old man, surnamed Cheng (鄭), for child abuse resulting in serious injury, requesting a 12-year sentence.
Between February and mid-September, he had on multiple occasions abused his girlfriend’s two boys, aged four and 10, using physical punishments under the guise of “games” or to “teach them a lesson,” prosecutors said.
The abuse caused bruising, contusions and visible injuries, they said.
Based on evidence, including the elder brother’s testimony and medical reports, prosecutors determined that Cheng had inflicted severe physical and psychological abuse over a substantial period of time.
On Sept. 15, the two brothers dropped biscuit crumbs on the floor and Cheng ordered them to clean them up and then squat as punishment, prosecutors said.
The younger boy then gave Cheng the middle finger, enraging him, they said.
Cheng then grabbed the boy and repeatedly slammed his head against the rear balcony wall, they said.
The child complained of severe headaches for three days before he vomited and collapsed on the fourth day, prosecutors said.
His mother took him to the hospital, but doctors found massive internal bleeding in his skull, multiple bruises, brain swelling and brain herniation, and he deteriorated into a vegetative state, they said.
He has remained in critical condition since and has lost functions including speech, taste and smell.
The hospital immediately notified the Kaohsiung Social Affairs Bureau and the Fengshan branch of the Kaohsiung Police Department.
Cheng denied hitting the boy's head during questioning, although he did admit to hitting the children with a wooden stick, prosecutors said.
The mother said she was showering and therefore did not witness the incident, they added.
A panel of experts convened by the child protection center of the Kaohsiung Hospital confirmed that it was an instance of child abuse.
Investigators found that the boy had attended kindergarten three times with visible bruising and injuries that teachers failed to report to authorities.
Cheng had been living with his girlfriend and her two children from a previous marriage in an apartment in Kaohsiung’s Fongshan Distict (鳳山).
The younger boy has been placed in protective custody by social services, while the older child has been placed in separate care.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a