More than 5,000 people have been scammed more than once this year, accounting for 5 percent of fraud cases, with investment and online shopping scams the most common type of fraud, the Criminal Investigation Bureau said.
A woman in her 70s, surnamed Lin (林), was scammed after joining a Line app investment group that promised “guaranteed profits,” the bureau said.
She was unable to get back any of the money she invested and subsequently reported the fraud to the police, it said.
Photo: CNA
Lin was scammed again by another fraud investment group four months later, losing a total of more than NT$20 million (US$654,772), it said.
In another case, a 50-year-old man surnamed Chen (陳) was scammed by three people he met through online dating apps, who convinced him to invest in cryptocurrency and stocks under the pretense of “building a better future together.”
Chen later found that he could not withdraw any of his investments and reported to the police that he had been scammed.
Meanwhile, a 40-year-old man, also surnamed Chen (陳), was scammed by a fraudster reselling concert tickets online, the bureau said.
The fraudster told the victim to prepay for the ticket and meet in person at the concert venue to pick it up, but stopped responding to messages when he showed up to collect it.
The bureau said that the man fell victim to a similar scam a couple months later.
The bureau advised people to check the 165 anti-fraud dashboard at 165dashboard.tw/ before investing or making purchases online.
On the Web site dedicated to fraud prevention, people can compare real and fraudulent cases, identify potential risks and avoid becoming victims, it said.
The bureau also warned the public about people impersonating police or prosecutors.
In May, fraudsters claiming to be police called an 80-year-old man, alleging that illegal funds had been moving through the man’s bank account and ordered him to report to the police station.
They even claimed that they were conducting “anti-fraud education” by telling the man that if police ask for a video or audio statement it must be a scam, as statements are only valid when collected in person at a police station.
Citing his limited mobility, the man said he was unable to go to the police station, and the fraudsters said they would make an exception by accepting a phone-recorded statement this once.
Then they told the man that his assets needed to be temporary managed due to the criminal activity and convinced him to transfer NT$37 million.
The fraudsters later impersonated a prosecutor and convinced the man to pledge a house as collateral and hand over an additional NT$10 million loan.
After speaking with his daughter in the US, the man realized he had been scammed and reported the case to the police.
This type of scam usually targets more vulnerable people in their 50s or older, the bureau said.
Bureau data showed that in the first half of this year there were 113 cases of impersonation scams with losses of more than NT$10 million, with the majority occurring in Taipei, New Taipei City and Taichung.
People should not believe suspicious calls made by someone claiming to be a prosecutor, police officer, judge or investigator, the bureau said.
Any request to make a recorded statement is a fraud, there are no exceptions, it added.
If the call sounds suspicious, people should hang up and check with the 165 anti-fraud hotline or local police station, the bureau said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a