Miaoli County prosecutors yesterday said they had indicted 49 people for alleged illegal dumping, forgery, causing pollution and contravening the Waste Disposal Act (廢棄物清理法).
The case involves several companies and executives of business associations for treating sand and gravel. Suspects allegedly had made about NT$300 million (US$9.85 million) through unauthorized dumping in rural areas, prosecutor Peng Yu-ching (彭郁清) said.
Prosecutors said that the case, which they started to investigate last year, has revealed the largest organized criminal group involved in environmental pollution in the county’s history.
Photo courtesy of the Miaoli District Prosecutors’ Office
They said they have confiscated NT$120 million worth of real-estate assets, NT$24 million in cash during searches at offices and 39 dumpster trucks, a national record for such vehicles seized.
Following a 10-month-long investigation, authorities indicted the 49 people, including an elected official for Miaoli’s Houlong Township (後龍), surnamed Wang (王), and the chairman of a Taipei-based business association for treating sand and gravel, prosecutors said.
The suspects were charged with contravening the Criminal Code, and the Waste Disposal and Organized Crime Prevention (組織犯罪防制條) acts, they said.
The case has uncovered “major” environmental damage, including pollution of soil, rivers and streams in rural Miaoli along with other administrative regions, Peng said.
Miaoli police, the Ministry of Environment’s Environmental Management Administration and Changhua County authorities cooperated during the investigation, Peng said, adding that they have conducted seven waves of searches at a total of 34 locations, summoned 100 people for questioning and detained 15 suspects.
Suspects allegedly formed an “industry-wide crime chain,” forged business licenses and other certificates, and falsified records to pass inspections, Peng said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a