Deputy Minister of Education Benson Yeh (葉丙成) yesterday announced his resignation, hours after the ministry’s Gender Equity Education Committee acquitted him of sexual discrimination allegations.
Yeh became embroiled in controversy after commenting on a sexual harassment investigation at National Taiwan University (NTU) in a Facebook post on April 21, which included a screenshot of a sensitive conversation.
Although Yeh blurred out identifying information in the screenshot to protect the relevant parties’ privacy, enough details remained that zooming into the image revealed the name of the alleged victim.
Photo: Taipei Times
The alleged victim made multiple public demands for Yeh to delete the post and issue an apology, which he did not comply with until the ministry on May 21 launched a Gender Equity Education Committee inquiry into his conduct.
Yeh, who is also an NTU professor, has since been placed on leave.
The committee findings — which the ministry made public at midday yesterday — stated that Yeh had acted within the Gender Equity Education Act (性別平等教育法), since the post was not made to exert pressure on the alleged victim for discriminatory purposes.
However, Yeh’s exposure of the victim’s identity and acquisition of records that he did not obtain via proper channels potentially constituted breaches of digital privacy protection laws and rules on handling government information, it said.
The committee does not investigate matters that lie outside of its scope, but prosecutors and affected parties could expect the ministry’s cooperation should they decide to pursue these other matters, it said.
The ministry would launch a separate probe into Yeh’s conduct to determine whether he breached regulations governing the civil service by causing reputational harm to the service and the government, it added.
NTU also needs to suspend the dorm clerk, who had been accused of sexual harassment by the victim, to protect the student from being contacted before the legal proceedings are completed, the committee said, adding that the ongoing appeal filed by the student over the university’s dismissal of the sexual harassment complaints has reached the Taipei High Administrative Court.
Yeh in a statement said that he deeply regrets causing social turmoil and that he would take responsibility for the truth as revealed by the committee’s investigation.
“I am sorry about the incident’s impact on society and [my] work. I will learn from this and be more cautious about how I conduct myself. Thank you,” he said.
NTU is urged to provide all necessary well-being and academic resources to facilitate the alleged victim’s speedy recovery and successful completion of required coursework, he added.
Yeh said he had already tendered his resignation to Minister of Education Cheng Ying-yao (鄭英耀) to avoid disrupting the ministry’s business and distressing the alleged victim any further.
Cheng in a separate statement said that he respected Yeh’s decision to resign, while noting his passion for education and work on policies of nurturing talent in artificial intelligence and revamping the vocational school system since taking up the deputy minister post in May last year.
The university said it is providing the student with the academic, counseling and administrative assistance she needs to complete her degree.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not