The central government would assist local governments to enhance public safety, President William Lai (賴清德) said yesterday as he visited people in hospital who were injured in an explosion at a department store in Taichung on Thursday.
A suspected gas explosion occurred on the 12th floor of the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Zhonggang department store in Taichung at 11:33am on Thursday, killing four people and injuring 36.
Of the 40 casualties, 39 were hospitalized, Ministry of Health and Welfare data showed.
Photo courtesy of the Taichung City Government
Three died after out-of-hospital cardiac arrests, the data showed.
As of 6am yesterday, 25 of those injured had been discharged from hospital, leaving 11 hospitalized, with five in intensive care units and six in general wards, the data showed.
Lai visited Lin Shin Hospital and Taichung Veterans General Hospital yesterday morning.
Many people are very concerned and saddened about the incident at the department store, which caused many deaths and injuries, he said.
Lai said that Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) has instructed the National Fire Agency and the ministry to help the Taichung City Government enhance its fire control, disaster relief and medical treatment procedures.
“I hope Premier Cho will also instruct government agencies to assist local governments to ensure public safety, as they cause many casualties, great societal loss and great harm to families,” Lai said.
“We must enhance the prevention of occupational incidents, including paying attention to construction procedures, to prevent injuries to workers,” he added.
Lai wished the patients a speedy recovery and thanked Taichung City Government officials, especially the firefighters, rescue workers, healthcare practitioners and volunteers who helped at the scene and in hospital.
The Taichung Fire Bureau on Friday said that its initial findings on the cause of the department store blast was a possible gas leak, as interior renovations were being done on the 11th and 12th floors.
Separately, Changhua Christian Hospital yesterday awarded Gou Yun-hsuan (郭芸?) and Su Yi-fan (蘇奕帆) — nurses from its Emergency Department — a cash gift of NT$100,000 for voluntarily performing emergency treatment for people outside the department store immediately after the explosion.
The two nurses were shopping at the department store at the time and rushed to the first floor and helped perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation on an injured person, Changhua Christian Hospital said.
Hospital superintendent Chen Mu-kuan (陳穆寬) said it was rewarding Gou and Su for their bravery and selfless dedication to saving lives.
Through the cash gift, the hospital expresses its gratitude and hopes to convey its belief that the value of healthcare practitioners is not limited to hospital buildings, but that they can save lives at any place at any time, Chen said.
Meanwhile, Shin Kong Mitsukoshi pledged to give the families of the four people who died NT$11 million (US$335,673) each.
The compensation packages, comprising condolence money and insurance payments, are to “express its deepest sympathy and support for the victims’ families,” it said in a statement.
The families are being assisted in dealing with the aftermath, it said, adding that it is also providing all necessary support and assistance, including paid leave, to ensure the working rights of its staff are not affected.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the