The Changhua District Court has ruled in favor of a plaintiff seeking NT$17.85 million (US$543,818) in compensation in a fraud case and ordered the defendant to pay the sum demanded, it said in a statement on Friday.
The court said it made the decision as a part of a supplementary civil case that was attached to a criminal case about a financial scam.
Between Aug. 17 and Sept. 15 last year, a Changhua man, surnamed Lin (林), was scammed into making 22 wire transfers totaling NT$17.85 million.
Photo: Taipei Times
Lin was apparently told by scammers that he was a suspect in a criminal case and had to transfer the money to the designated accounts to make it possible for the “authorities” to investigate.
After realizing that he was being scammed, Lin reported the case to Changhua police, who started a criminal investigation.
Changhua prosecutors and the police eventually tracked down a man, surnamed Chang (張), who was found to have provided four bank accounts into which Lin had transferred funds.
After Changhua prosecutors indicted Chang on criminal charges related to the scam, Lin filed a civil case against Chang in a bid to get his money back.
During the hearing of the cases, which were tried together, Chang argued that he lent the accounts to former colleagues who had asked for his help in making their own accounts look more presentable.
Chang said he was unaware that his former coworkers were members of a scam syndicate who used his accounts for illegal acts.
However, as Chang was unable to prove his story, the court said the judge did not take Chang’s testimony into account.
According to the official ruling, the judge found that Chang had violated the law by engaging in a scam, but said there was no evidence that he had assisted a scamming syndicate of three or more people.
The judge apparently reached the decision that Chang had violated the Money Laundering Control Act (洗錢防制法), because of the large number of bank accounts Chang had provided for others to be able to reap illicit gains from just one victim.
On Dec. 19, the Changhua District Court sentenced Chang to six months in prison.
The court also ruled in favor of Lin’s civil case against Chang the same day and ordered the defendant to pay NT$17.85 million to the plaintiff.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a