Keelung’s youth electric scooter program will relaunch on Jan 1 with several updates, including more models available for NT$0 monthly installments, the city’s Bureau of Environmental Protection said.
As part of the program, Keelung citizens between 20 to 45 can trade-in an older gasoline-powered scooter for a new electric one, either for a subsidized monthly installment plan or an outright purchase, it said.
The monthly subsidies range from NT$300 to NT$699 and last for three to five years, and the one-time subsidy for purchases is NT$60,000 (US$1,850), but with no monthly assistance, the city’s government said.
Photo: Lu Hsien-hsu, Taipei Times
There are six models that are eligible for the zero-monthly payment option, and nine for the NT$60,000 purchase subsidy, it said.
Qualified individuals can apply online before submitting documents to one of the city’s 50 partner dealerships, the bureau said.
The program, which first launched in September last year, has already seen 15,000 people apply, but due to several controversies, it was temporarily halted in July this year.
Applicants must be Keelung residents, between 20 and 45 years old, and trade in a scooter that was registered in the city prior to Dec. 31, 2021, it said.
Applicants do not have to submit their own vehicle as they can trade in a relative’s or friend’s scooter as well, it said.
The program does not require public service or volunteering to be eligible, although that is encouraged, the city’s government said.
The program also encourages mobile battery charging, as it includes access to 60 exchange stations and 15 charging points, with both set to increase in future.
For the purchase subsidy, eligible models include Gogoro, Yamaha and Suzuki scooters.
The Keelung Bureau of Environmental Protection has budgeted for 1,000 approved applicants a month.
If the number of applicants exceeds that quota, the agency will livestream a lottery drawing on its Facebook page.
The application period will run between Jan 1 and Jan 15.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not