After a 15-year hiatus, fresh Taiwanese pork may once again be exported to Singapore, the Ministry of Agriculture announced today.
The Singapore Food Agency approved fresh pork produced by the Taiwanese company Cha I Shan Foods (嘉一香) to be imported into Singapore, the ministry said.
The company’s slaughterhouse has obtained hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) certification, demonstrating its commitment to food safety, the ministry said.
Photo: Taipei Times
Processed products such as sausages may already be exported to Singapore, but Taiwan was hoping fresh pork would also be introduced into the market, it said.
After multiple negotiations between the two sides, Singapore completed a document review and virtual inspection of the company’s slaughterhouse, it said.
This marks another step forward for Taiwan’s pork industry, following last year’s agreement with the Philippines to import Taiwanese frozen pork, the ministry added.
Taiwan would continue negotiations with Singapore to increase the number of export facilities, it said.
The Singapore Food Agency’s approval of Taiwanese pork reflects the nation’s achievements in HACCP certification and animal disease prevention, the ministry said.
The ministry began promoting HACCP certification in slaughterhouses in December 2020, to ensure Taiwan’s pork industry aligns with international standards.
Currently, 11 pig slaughterhouses and 17 poultry slaughterhouses have obtained HACCP certification, the ministry said.
Taiwan continues to prevent major swine diseases, keeping African swine fever (ASF) outside its borders and successfully eradicating foot-and-mouth disease as well as classical swine fever, it added.
The World Organization for Animal Health has recognized Taiwan as free from foot-and-mouth disease and ASF, and the ministry has applied for recognition as free from classical swine fever, it said.
The recognition is expected by the end of May next year, which would further facilitate the expansion of Taiwanese pork exports, the ministry said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not