The government has requested assistance from other countries to extradite a Spanish fugitive who was refused entry into Singapore and put on a return flight to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport’s restricted area for passengers.
Salvador Alejandro Llinas Onate was deported to Singapore on Saturday and is not allowed to re-enter Taiwan, as Interpol has issued a “Red Notice” for his arrest. He is also wanted by Spanish and Italian authorities, the National Immigration Agency (NIA) said.
The NIA said it is working with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to extradite him to Spain and is seeking assistance for his return so he can face legal punishment for allegedly operating a car rental scam in Italy.
Photo: Tony Yao, Taipei Times
When he arrived in Taiwan yesterday morning, the NIA denied him re-entry; he is permitted to stay in the airport’s Security Restricted Area for air travelers, the NIA said.
The NIA said it had arranged a room for him, is providing him with three daily meals, and that he is free to communicate with family members and lawyers.
Llinas Onate has been indicted by Italian prosecutors for allegedly leading a 30 million euro (US$32.6 million) car rental scam and setting up a fraudulent company in Trento, Italy. He obtained permanent residency in Taiwan in 2021 after entering via a dependent visa in 2019.
The NIA said that it had ordered him on Oct. 14 to leave the country within 10 days.
The Taipei High Administrative Court on Saturday ruled that the deportation had flaws and ordered Llinas Onate’s release, but it came too late, as NIA officers had escorted him to a flight to Singapore earlier that day.
“It is an important policy in all countries to crack down on financial crime and fraud operators, and the NIA adhered to the laws by expelling wanted international criminals to safeguard our national security and public safety. It had followed the proper and legal process,” NIA officials said.
The NIA also said that the deportation was in accordance with the Regulations Governing Forcible Deportation of Foreigners (外國人強制驅逐出國處理辦法) and Article 18 of the Immigration Act (入出國及移民法), which state that someone who might “endanger national interests, public security, public order or the good customs of the State,” can be prohibited from entering Taiwan.
Additional reporting by Wang Kuang-jen
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not