The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) on Thursday said that it had “no detailed information” on a Taiwanese woman who was arrested in South Korea and was reportedly facing extradition to China for her alleged involvement in the kidnapping and murder of two people in the Philippines.
The suspect could be extradited to China under an extradition treaty between the two countries and the Philippines also has jurisdiction over the case, as that is where the alleged crime took place, MAC Deputy Minister and spokesperson Liang Wen-chieh (梁文傑) said.
“The MAC has no detailed information on the case,” he said on the alleged kidnapping and murder of a US citizen and a Chinese citizen in the Philippines in June.
Photo: Chung Li-hua, Taipei Times
The Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) on Wednesday said that it would look into the case, Liang said.
Taiwan only has jurisdiction in such cases if the crime committed by a Taiwanese abroad carries a prison sentence of at least three years, Liang added.
It remains unclear whether the Taiwanese is the main suspect or an accomplice, so the minimum sentence cannot be determined, he said.
Liang also said that Taiwan does not have any information on Taiwanese serving prison sentences in China or those who were extradited to China after committing crimes in other countries, as Chinese authorities do not disclose such information.
However, he said the MAC does have statistics on the number of Taiwanese involved in cross-border telecom fraud, and about 600 had been extradited to China from other countries for such offenses from 2016 to May 31.
Reports on Monday said a Taiwanese woman, referred to as Lee Na (李娜), was allegedly involved in the kidnapping and murder of a Chinese national surnamed Xia (夏) and a US citizen of Chinese descent surnamed Sun (孫).
Lee Na had invited Xia and Sun to the Philippines to discuss a potential business venture, the National Business Daily reported. Upon their arrival on June 20, Xia and Sun were kidnapped and then killed on June 24, the report said.
Red Star News on Monday reported that Lee Na had been arrested in Seoul on Sunday and would be extradited to China.
The CIB on Tuesday confirmed that the suspect was a 44-year-old Taiwanese and that the woman’s real surname was Chen (陳).
Relevant agencies in Taiwan were following the case closely, the Ministry of Justice’s Department of International and Cross-Strait Legal Affairs said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not