Three have died and nine others were in hospitals this morning after eating millet dumplings that may have contained toxic pesticides.
Yesterday evening, a woman surnamed Tseng (曾) in Taitung County’s Jinfeng Township (金峰) was taken to the hospital after developing convulsions, but was unable to be resuscitated.
About 30 friends and family came over that evening to observe her wake, where they ate the same millet dumplings with snails, bamboo shoots and taro that Tseng had made and consumed earlier.
Photo copied by Huang Ming-tang, Taipei Times
A total of 12 attendees began seeking medical attention starting at about 3am for vomiting and convulsions.
Six of them lost consciousness on the way to the hospital.
By 7am, two more had died and nine were still in hospitals receiving treatment.
Since many people were exhibiting the same symptoms, family members suspected it might have been food poisoning and sent the remaining millet dumplings and other food to a hospital for testing.
Tseng came in at about 9pm yesterday exhibiting a strange smell, Taitung Mackay Memorial Hospital emergency room director Liu En-jui (劉恩睿) told reporters.
Liu said he asked the family if it might have been food poisoning, but they said it was not likely and suspected it was an illness related to her advanced age.
Six more people came to the Mackay hospital throughout the night, two of whom exhibited the same smell, causing doctors to suspect food poisoning, Liu said.
It appeared to be a neurotoxin, potentially an organophosphate used in pesticides or another type found naturally in plants, he said, adding that the patients had constricted pupils and were trembling, with body stiffness and secretions from the mouth and nose.
Taitung County police this morning visited the village and questioned the man who collected the snails to ascertain their source.
County health officials have also visited Tseng’s family and the hospitals to gather samples and the remaining dumplings.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not