Fraud is a growing problem in the nation, and the government would budget NT$7.3 billion (US$228.57 million) next year to tackle the issue, President William Lai (賴清德) said on Tuesday during a forum hosted by the Chinese language Liberty Times (sister paper of the Taipei Times).
The government’s budget for anti-fraud measures next year would be 4.8 times that of this year, Lai said.
The government would target fraud through policing, interdepartmental and international cooperation, and public involvement, he said.
Photo: Taipei Times
“Our goal is for nobody to be a victim of deception. We are treating this like a war against fraud,” he said.
The government’s first step would be to target gang activity, he said, adding that gangs had contributed to the endangerment of public security, gun violence, drug use and fraud.
To tackle fraud, the government would implement cooperation between ministries, law enforcement, customs officials, maritime authorities, and leaders in the digital, finance, and telecommunications sectors, he said.
Photo: Taipei Times
An “anti-fraud command center” would be established as a platform to coordinate efforts, he said.
“Only through combining our efforts, sharing information, dividing labor and fostering cooperation can we achieve results,” Lai said.
Taiwan must also establish cooperation with other countries in the area of crime-fighting, he said.
“We must improve channels of communication with the public. The government regularly publishes data on the victims and property losses in fraud cases,” he said. “We should also provide channels for the public to give feedback related to anti-fraud measures. We need to be innovative and encourage people to take the initiative.”
Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰), who also attended the forum, said that while the government could not guarantee the elimination of all fraud, it would toughen laws to discourage such activity.
Separately, Financial Supervisory Commission Chairman Peng Jin-lung (彭金隆) said the commission had implemented measures to tackle fraud.
Those measures included controls on debit, credit and virtual financial accounts, information campaigns and the establishment of the Virtual Asset Service Provider Preparatory Office, he said.
The commission had also established an active search and report mechanism for advertisements of illegal investment activity, he said, adding that 49,763 cases had been reported as of July 26.
The Criminal Investigation Bureau regularly communicates with social-media operators on the removal of such advertisements and on measures to strengthen the review of investment-related advertisements, he said.
Additional reporting by Lee Wen-hsin and Wang Meng-lun
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as