Taiwan still aims to reach its target of 10 million international visitors this year despite only 2 million arriving in the first quarter and 3.4 million as of Monday last week, Tourism Administration data showed.
In the first three months of this year, Taiwan recorded 2.05 million international arrivals, with Japan, Hong Kong and Macau, and South Korea the top three sources of inbound visitors.
In the three years prior to the COVID-19 pandemic (2017-2019), first-quarter arrivals accounted for about 24 percent of a given year’s visitors, meaning Taiwan has some catching up to do to reach its 10 million target.
Photo: Taipei Times
In a radio interview on Friday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Li Meng-yen (李孟諺) said the nation still had opportunities to reach its visitor goal, but acknowledged that it would be challenging.
As of Monday last week, 3.4 million international visitors had visited Taiwan, Li said, citing Tourism Administration data.
He said he hoped the fourth quarter, the usual peak season for inbound visitors, would be strong.
Last year, 6.49 million foreigners visited Taiwam.
Taiwan originally set a target of 12 million arrivals for this year, which included a significant number of visitors from China, but that target was adjusted as Beijing continues to restrict travel to Taiwan, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications said.
When China’s borders reopened last year, 1.76 million Taiwanese visited as independent visitors (not with tour groups), but only 220,000 Chinese traveled to Taiwan for meetings or for medical purposes due to Beijing’s travel restrictions, Li said.
Tourism Administration data showed that 98,674 Chinese nationals visited Taiwan in the first quarter, far fewer than the 348,913 arrivals from Japan, 320,988 from Hong Kong and Macau, and 316,958 from South Korea.
The visitors from the top three sources more than doubled compared with the first quarter of last year, the data showed.
About 616,000 travelers from Southeast Asia arrived in the first quarter, up 30 percent from a year earlier.
Before the pandemic, the number of inbound travelers to Taiwan peaked at 11.86 million in 2019.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not