Three police officers in Taoyuan are being investigated by prosecutors for alleged brutality against a 17-year-old boy during a recent interrogation, the city’s police precinct said on Thursday.
The case is being handled by the Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office, the precinct said in a statement.
Police officers who break the law would be severely punished and their supervisors held accountable, it said, indicating that the police station’s chief has been transferred to a non-supervisory position over the incident.
Photo: Hsieh Wu-hsiung, Taipei Times
Taoyuan City Councilor Chan Chiang-tsun (詹江村) said the victim, identified by his last name, Huang (黃), was passing in front of Wuling police station at about 9pm on Sunday when he was stopped by three officers.
They accused Huang of being involved in a recent kidnapping case and took him into the station, where he was interrogated for about an hour, Chan said.
During the interrogation Huang was struck multiple times and even subjected to an electric shock device by the officers in an attempt to make him confess, the councilor said, indicating that the teenager was released after eight hours of wrongful detention because the officers had no evidence against him.
Chan said that he asked the police station for an account of the incident, but was told there is no recording of the interrogation.
Huang said he was only passing by the area to get to his scooter when the officers detained him for questioning.
They did not give an explanation, Huang said, adding that he was simply told to leave after they returned his cellphone.
Following a medical examination at Saint Paul’s Hospital in Taoyuan, the teenager said he filed a report with the Sanxia police precinct against the three officers for “intimidation, causing harm and public humiliation.”
In its statement, the Taoyuan police precinct said that officers who break the law would be severely punished and their supervisors held accountable.
On Thursday, the Taoyuan precinct apologized to Huang and his family over the incident.
In addition, they said the precinct would not tolerate and does not condone contraventions of the law by its officers.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not