A superconducting quantum computer developed and made in Taiwan represents a significant stride in Taiwan’s quantum technology, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said yesterday.
Tsai was speaking at a forum organized by Academia Sinica on the progress in research made by its Thematic Center for Quantum Computer.
Lauding the breakthrough as a testament to Taiwan’s prowess in the field, Tsai said the plan was initiated by Academia Sinica more than three years ago.
Photo: CNA
That led to National Tsing Hua University’s development of quantum network coding in May last year, which is expected to boost Taiwan’s capabilities in cybersecurity, national security, finance and biomedicine.
The new computer was developed through a quantum technology project funded by the National Science and Technology Council, Academia Sinica said.
The project came to fruition in October last year when Academia Sinica successfully developed a computer based on 5-quantum-bit (qubit) chips in collaboration with multiple domestic and foreign institutions.
On Jan. 19, the new quantum computer began providing online services to program participants and it is used by developers as a platform for developing complementary metal oxide semiconductor and parametric amplifier technologies, the institution said.
Taiwan is one of the few countries capable of independently producing a superconducting quantum computer, Thematic Center executive officer Chen Chii-dong (陳啟東) said earlier this month.
The research institute initially proposed the idea of developing a superconducting quantum computer in Taiwan in 2019 and has since received government support, Academia Sinica president James Liao (廖俊智) said yesterday.
Tsai pledged to inject additional funding into Academia Sinica’s south branch to support its continued development of quantum computing technologies and efforts to establish a quantum technology industry chain.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as