Authorities in Changhua County yesterday arrested four people accused of running an underground election gambling ring and confiscating NT$1.19 million (US$38,137).
After receiving a tip-off, county prosecutors coordinated with police to surveil and raid three locations, arresting the primary suspects at their residences, Changhua County Deputy Chief Prosecutor Huang Shu-yuan (黃淑媛) said.
The suspects were offering odds and payouts for wagers on votes for presidential candidates, updating the odds based on the latest election news, Huang said.
Photo: Chen Kuan-bei, Taipei Times
“Their actions are quite damaging, affecting impartiality for holding a fair election,” she said.
The suspects face gambling charges under the Criminal Code and the Presidential and Vice Presidential Election and Recall Act (總統副總統選舉罷免法).
The suspects are a 62-year-old man surnamed Huang (黃), believed to be the leader of the operation, along with a man surnamed Peng (彭), 70, and two women, surnamed Yang (楊), 53, and Chen (陳), 45.
After questioning, Huang was released on bail of NT$100,000, while the other suspects were released on NT$30,000 bail.
The Ministry of Justice is providing a reward of NT$1 million for information leading to the arrest of underground betting rings with more than 40 members and with a betting pool of more than NT$1 million, the government announced earlier this month.
Informants could receive an additional NT$100,000 for every 10 percent increase in the number of members involved above 40 capped at NT$500,000.
Those reporting on an election gambling ring involving more than NT$5 million could receive an additional NT$50,000 for every additional NT$5 million in betting funds found, capped at NT$500,000.
People who report interference by foreign forces in the presidential election could receive a reward of up to NT$10 million. Informants would receive an additional NT$1 million for each additional person reported, up to a maximum of NT$20 million.
The Changhua County Prosecutors’ Office said that authorities would protect whistle-blowers’ identities in cases leading to arrests.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not