The closure of Eslite Spectrum Corp’s (誠品生活) 24-hour bookstore in Taipei’s Xinyi District (信義) after 18 years was “far from the end of an era,” thanks to the generations of readers nurtured by the outlet, company chairwoman Mercy Wu (吳旻潔) said yesterday.
At a news conference at the Xinyi store, Wu said that about 1 million people had visited the world’s largest brick-and-mortar retailer of traditional Chinese books this month.
This included more than 75,000 who visited the store on its penultimate day of operations Saturday, Wu said.
Photo: CNA
The Xinyi store officially closed its doors at 10:30pm yesterday.
Eslite’s Songyan outlet, in the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park in Taipei, would succeed the Xinyi outlet in staying open 24 hours a day from Jan. 20, next year. In the meantime, Wu said the Eslite bookstore on the fifth floor of the Nanxi store in Taipei’s Zhongshan District (中山) would run around the clock to bridge the gap.
Eslite is leaving its Xinyi premises after landlord Uni-President Group — which plans to transform the store into a shopping mall called “Dream Plaza” — declined to renew the bookseller’s lease.
Wu said she came to the Xinyi store every day to see messages left by customers, of which the top keywords were “youth” and “companionship,” drawing a different picture of the store’s customers from that of the Dunnan store, which closed in 2020.
Comparing the two stores, Wu said customers at the Dunnan store were mostly in their 50s — “which made me feel like a little girl” — while many at the Xinyi store were in their 20s and 30s.
“If the Dunnan store offers the public a place to pursue knowledge, I think the Xinyi store provided them with intellectual
Highlighting a message left by a customer expressing hope that “Taiwan will become an island of reading habits,” Wu said she took comfort knowing “such a remark does not come from a senior who holds a magnifying glass to read.”
“This is a big motivation for [Eslite] continuing to run 24-hour bookstores in the future,” she said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not