The government’s decision last month to buy the building that houses its representative office in Italy is expected to save money in the long run, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs official said yesterday.
Department of General Affairs head Bruce Hung (洪振榮) told a news briefing that the ministry had leased the building at No. 17 Viale Liegi in Rome for years.
However, the ministry in June learned that the owner of the building was having financial difficulties and a court in Rome ordered the property’s foreclosure, Hung said.
Photo: Lu Yi-hsuan, Taipei Times
The ministry decided that it was the right time to stop leasing the building and buy it instead, he said.
The deal was officially sealed last month, he added.
“It is extremely rare to be able to buy a property in Europe at a reasonable price, so we immediately made the decision,” he said.
Hung was asked to comment on the decision to buy the building for NT$408 million (US$12.63 million), which was part of a fiscal 2024 budget proposal sent to lawmakers for review.
In the budget proposal, the ministry said that the purchase would be made in two installments in the fiscal 2024 and fiscal 2025 budgets.
The ministry has not said how much it was paying in rent for the building.
The ministry also opened a representative office in Milan, Italy, last week.
Hung, whose department is responsible for buying or leasing the ministry’s overseas representative offices, said that it has plans to buy one other overseas property, a permanent location for its representative office in Sydney.
The ministry is also planning to open an office in Montreal before the end of the year and an office in Mumbai, India, early next year, but both would be leased, he said.
The ministry has 110 overseas offices, of which fewer than 20 are owned by the government.
The ministry has been trying to buy office space overseas to save on rent since 2002.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a