A rights advocate yesterday said that a 2010 request from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs under then-president Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) not to criticize China only made him want to speak out even more.
“You don’t typically tell an activist to be quiet on a subject of human rights. You know, it’s just a terrible idea,” Oslo Freedom Forum founder Thor Halvorssen told a news conference in Taipei before the start of this year’s half-day forum.
Halvorssen, who is also the founder and chief executive of the US-based Human Rights Foundation, said that the ministry pleaded with him not to say anything negative about China in a conference speech in Taipei 13 years ago.
Photo: Yang Yao-ru, Taipei Times
He said the request was counterproductive, resulting in him rewriting his speech the night before the conference to include more criticisms of China, taking aim at the Chinese Communist Party for being “the most criminal syndicate that violates human rights in the world.”
Ma and his entourage “got up and walked out” five minutes into the speech, he said.
In a meeting on Monday with Legislative Speaker You Si-kun (游錫?), Halvorssen said that he was kicked out of his hotel in retaliation for the speech.
That led Democratic Progressive Party lawmakers to demand that Ma apologize for his administration’s alleged treatment of Halvorssen.
Ma Ying-jeou Foundation director Hsiao Hsu-tsen (蕭旭岑) on Tuesday said that Halvorssen had been clear in his recounting on Monday that it was the ministry and not Ma who had asked him about his speech in 2010.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it respects Halvorssen’s personal remarks and views, but has no further comment on the matter.
The Oslo Freedom Forum is a series of international human rights conferences launched by the Human Rights Foundation in 2009.
The conferences aim to bring together notable people, including former heads of state, Nobel Peace Prize laureates, prisoners of conscience and other public figures to network and exchange ideas about human rights and exposing dictatorships, its Web site says.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not