It is China’s “priority” to stop Vice President William Lai (賴清德), the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) presidential candidate, from visiting the US next month, China’s ambassador in Washington said on Wednesday, as Beijing steps up its warnings against the trip.
In most opinion polls Lai is the front-runner of the presidential election, which is to be held in January.
Lai is making what are officially stopovers in the US on his way to and from Paraguay for the inauguration of its new president on Aug. 15, and it is drawing anger from Beijing which calls Lai “a separatist.”
Photo: Xinhua via AP
Chinese ambassador Xie Feng (謝鋒) told the Aspen Security Forum that “Taiwan is China’s Taiwan” and that the country wanted a peaceful “reunification,” but Taiwanese “separatists” were advancing their agenda, seeking US support.
“They even do not admit they are Chinese. So this is a very dangerous path they are taking,” Xie said.
“Provocative” moves by Taiwan “separatists” should be contained, he said. “Now the priority for us is to stop William Lai Ching-te from visiting the US, which is like a grey rhino charging at us.”
A “grey rhino” event refers to a highly obvious yet ignored threat.
Defense ministry said that on Thursday it had detected 22 Chinese warplanes around Taiwan, some of which crossed the sensitive median line of the Taiwan Strait, while seven Chinese warships carried out “combat readiness patrols.”
President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and the government have repeatedly offered talks with China but been rejected, as Beijing views them as separatists. Both President Tsai and Vice President Lai say only Taiwan’s people can decide their future.
American Institute in Taiwan Director Sandra Oudkirk said on Wednesday that there was no reason for China to take “provocative” action in response to Lai’s stopovers in the US, and that such transits have happened for many years and are routine.
In August last year and then again in April this year, China staged large-scale war games around Taiwan, as responses to a visit to Taiwan of then-US House of Representatives speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Tsai in April meeting US House of Representatives Speaker Kevin McCarthy in Los Angeles, while she was transiting back from a visit to Central America.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not