Cheng Hung-huei (鄭宏輝) has been dismissed from his role as an unpaid administrative consultant to the Cabinet, Premier Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) said on Wednesday, following sexual assault allegations against the former Hsinchu city councilor.
At a morning news conference, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei City Councilor Yu Shu-hui (游淑慧) accused Cheng of sexually assaulting a woman while giving her a ride home two years ago.
Cheng, a Democratic Progressive Party member who serves as chairman of Chunghwa Telecom (中華電信) subsidiary Senao International (神腦國際), denied the allegations, calling it a political attack.
Photo: Taipei Times files
Asked about the issue before an afternoon news conference, the premier said that Cheng had been dismissed in accordance with government regulations, as implication in a sexual harassment case would have contravened eligibility criteria at the time of employment.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications has also been asked to set up a committee to investigate the allegations, Chen added.
Earlier in the day, Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) said he had requested that Chunghwa Telecom suspend Cheng and launch an investigation.
If the committee finds wrongdoing, the telecom has been instructed to dismiss Cheng, he added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a