The Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) has contacted Meta, the parent company of Facebook, to remove fake advertisements promoting “Jensen Huang’s stock investment chat group.”
Jensen Huang (黃仁勳), the Taiwanese-American CEO of Nvidia Corp, was in the media spotlight during a visit to Taiwan last week.
Citing accelerating artificial intelligence applications, Nvidia on May 24 said that its sales this quarter would reach US$11 billion, soaring 64 percent from a year earlier and beating a market estimate of US$7.2 billion, which caught many market analysts off guard.
Photo: Screen grab from Facebook
The GPU designer posted more than US$2 billion in net profit and US$7 billion in sales for the first quarter, both topping Wall Street expectations.
CIB officials said the Facebook advertisement was clearly fabricated, but it was still circulated widely and has led to complaints that the social media platform was doing nothing to curb the spread of fake advertisements.
“Scammers are good at following the latest trends,” a CIB official said on condition of anonymity.
The CIB said the advertisement was titled “Jensen Huang, Taiwan’s native-born kid,” and was accompanied by authentic information about Nvidia’s second-quarter forecast boosting the stocks of AI firms.
However, the next part of the advertisement was made up by the scammers, which said: “We thank people for their support. Now, with financial experts, we have set up a stock market investment chat group to share updates on daily stock movements and tips on when to buy and sell. We hope everyone can profit on the stock market,” the CIB said.
CIB officials said some people might have difficulty discerning the fraudulent advertisement from genuine promotions.
“We are working to prevent people falling for such scams. We have set up an anti-fraud unit to help people distinguish real news from fake news,” the CIB official said.
The bureau said it would treat the posting of fake advertisements as a criminal offense.
It urged people to contact the CIB’s “165” anti-fraud hotline to report bogus investment news and scams.
Additional reporting by CNA
Two people were killed and another nine injured yesterday after being stung by hornets while hiking in New Taipei City’s Rueifang District (瑞芳), with officials warning against wearing perfume or straying from trails during the autumn to avoid the potentially deadly creatures. Seven of the hikers only sustained minor injuries after being stung along the Bafenliao Hiking Trail (八分寮) and made their way down the mountain with a guide, the New Taipei City Fire Department said. Four of them — all male — sustained more serious injuries and were assisted when leaving the mountain, the department said. Two of them, a man surnamed
Recent movements by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have been “highly unusual,” but the military maintains a grasp of the situation, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said on Friday, after the military for the first time said it was monitoring troop movements in China’s Dacheng Bay (大埕灣). The minister gave the remarks to reporters before appearing at the legislature on the first day of its new session. The Ministry of National Defense on Thursday evening released an air force surveillance photograph of a PLA Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft, and said it was monitoring the PLA Rocket Force and ground
‘ABNORMITY’: News of the military exercises on the coast of the Chinese province facing Taiwan were made public by the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday Taiwan’s military yesterday said it has detected the Chinese military initiating a round of exercises at a bay area in coastal Fujian Province, which faces Taiwan, since early yesterday morning and it has been closely monitoring the drills. The exercises being conducted at Fujian’s Dacheng Bay featured an undisclosed number of People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) warplanes, warships and ground troops, the Ministry of National Defense said in a press statement. The ministry did not disclose what kind of military exercises are being conducted there and for how long they would be happening, but it did say that it has been closely watching
China’s Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong has asked foreign consulates in Hong Kong to submit details of their local staff, which is more proof that the “one country, two systems” model no longer exists, a Taiwanese academic said. The office sent letters dated Monday last week to consulates in the territory, giving them one month to submit the information it requires. The move followed Beijing’s attempt to obtain floor plans for all properties used by foreign missions in Hong Kong last year, which raised concerns among diplomats that the information could be used for