An annual vigil was held in Taipei yesterday to remember the victims of a violent crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators by Chinese authorities in Beijing 34 years ago on June 4.
The vigil, which began at 6:40pm at the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, included remarks by Taiwanese and foreign human rights campaigners, exiled Hong Kong protesters and politicians, and Taiwanese lawmakers.
Wu Renhua (吳仁華), a Chinese academic and participant in the Tiananmen Square demonstrations of 1989, opened the proceedings by lamenting the lack of a commemoration of the crackdown in the Chinese-speaking world outside of Taiwan.
Photo: AFP
He said that pro-democracy groups in Hong Kong had previously held large-scale vigils in Victoria Park every year on June 4 to remember the victims of Tiananmen Square, but Hong Kong authorities banned the event in 2020, citing COVID-19 concerns.
Since then, they have closed the venue to demonstrators in the name of epidemic prevention, and more recently to prevent “illegal activities” under its National Security Law.
Taiwan is the sole country in the Chinese-speaking world that can publicly commemorate the Tiananmen Square Massacre, Wu said.
As a witness and survivor of the massacre, Wu said he has participated in the annual vigil in Taipei for five consecutive years, and more people seem to be joining the annual memorial.
Although Taiwan has no official diplomatic relations with China, it should commemorate the 1989 incident, because as a democratic country, it should demonstrate its respect for universal human rights, he said.
“Human rights are without borders,” he said.
New School for Democracy chairman Tseng Chien-yuan (曾建元), who organized the vigil, said that the Tiananmen Square Massacre is something that Taiwan definitely needs to commemorate every year.
The same Chinese Communist Party regime that brutally cracked down on its people in 1989 is now sending warplanes and ships into Taiwan’s vicinity every day, he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not