National Taiwan University (NTU) on Monday said its gender equity committee is investigating an offensive set of proposals by two student council candidates that stoked controversy over the weekend.
The NTU Economics Department said it has already forwarded the case to the university’s Gender Equity Education Committee for investigation.
If the case is substantiated, NTU regulations allow for penalties ranging from formal admonishment to expulsion.
Photo: Taipei Times files
The university on Monday said the case would be handled according to procedures, but declined commenting further.
The department’s student association late on Saturday posted information to its Facebook about the candidates for upcoming student council elections.
In the policy proposal section for one pair of candidates, the association left a note informing viewers of the inappropriate and offensive nature of their submitted policies. It then included the submission of their 16 “proposals” as an addendum at the end of the post.
Among the “proposals” were calls to “require girls with smaller than an A cup to take two national defense credits” and barring “LGBTQ students and dogs” from playing Arena of Valor during student council meetings.
It also expresses opposition to quotas for indigenous students, overseas Taiwanese students and athletes.
The post comes amid debate at NTU about the quotas, which drew protests and counterprotests last week after a banner criticizing the policy was seen at an NTU Student Association free speech event.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a