CSBC Corp, Taiwan has been able to overcome some significant problems that arose while building a prototype of the nation’s first domestically made submarine, CSBC chairman Cheng Wen-lon (鄭文隆) said on Wednesday last week.
Earlier this year, Cheng said that the prototype would undergo final tests in September.
“We have been able to build 85 components locally so far,” Cheng said, after a source familiar with the program in January revealed that more than 40 percent of the submarine’s main body is being manufactured in Taiwan.
Photo: CNA
This would include airtight doors, a water conversion system, hydraulic system and a silent air-conditioning system, the source said.
Giving an example of how difficult it is to build a modern submarine, Cheng cited the need for silent toilets.
As Taiwan lacks experience building submarines, it had to procure 107 core technologies from overseas to build what is known as the “red zone” of the vessel, and manufacture the rest itself, he said.
Due to the silence required on submarines, Cheng’s team initially planned to import toilets costing NT$670,000 (US$21,744) each.
However, the price drew a public backlash, and the 990-member team in charge of building the submarine turned to local companies to manufacture the toilets for NT$150,000 each, he said.
The Ministry of National Defense has divided the hardware and technology needed to build a submarine into red, yellow and green categories, with red parts needing to be imported, yellow parts potentially made locally and green parts readily made in Taiwan.
Some red category technologies beyond Taiwan’s submarine design and building capability, such as diesel engines, torpedo tubes and other combat equipment, have been procured from overseas, the source said.
The construction of the prototype has continued around the clock since work started in 2020, Cheng said.
Other problems were overcome with the cooperation of the Naval Shipbuilding Development Center, the navy’s 256th Submarine Squadron, the Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology and a CSBC task force.
“We worked as partners rather than buyers and sellers,” he said.
After CSBC completes shipyard testing of the submarine in September, Cheng said the company would conduct harbor and sea operations tests before delivering the submarine to the navy.
Taiwan has allocated a NT$49.36 billion budget over seven years — from 2019 to 2025 — to build the prototype, with a plan to launch an indigenous submarine building program that would make it less dependent on other countries.
Such efforts could help Taiwan develop a national defense industry, and even enable the country to become a key submarine exporter, he said.
Although it has previously been reported that Taiwan is planning to allocate NT$300 billion to build a fleet of eight submarines as part of the Indigenous Defense Submarine Program, this has not been publicly confirmed by the military, and the ministry said such a plan requires further evaluation.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not