An alleged holder of classified Taiwanese intelligence files yesterday said they had sold the first batch and announced a second set of documents for sale.
The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) on Monday reported that an advertisement for confidential government documents had been published on the breached.vc forum.
In the post made on Wednesday last week, the seller said that they were offering 10 gigabytes of data allegedly taken from the nation’s intelligence agencies for US$150,000, with more available “if u have enough money.”
Photo: screen grab from the breached.vc Web site
They said that the documents included descriptions of the work, hobbies, politics and personalities of the targeted people.
They again posted on the forum early yesterday, saying that they had already sold the first batch and would sell another 6 gigabyte set of documents for “less than” US$100,000.
According to examples in the post, the new set of documents allegedly contains information on Taiwanese intelligence units abroad, the movements of other nations’ diplomats, regular intelligence reports and information on military exercises with other nations.
The Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau on Monday said it was investigating the case.
Yesterday, it said it was aware of recent developments, but declined to comment as the investigation is ongoing.
The National Security Bureau and the Ministry of National Defense also declined to comment.
A retired military officer said that this case had a different motive than others involving intelligence trading, which tend to be quieter and on a smaller scale.
By insinuating that such intelligence is easy to obtain, this high-profile sale was likely intended to cast doubt on Taiwan’s cybersecurity and embarrass the government, retired air force lieutenant general Chang Yen-ting (張延廷) said yesterday.
As such, investigators should proceed in a low-key manner, he said.
Chang said that foreign hackers could be responsible, as the relatively small monetary reward would not have been worth the risk for an intelligence officer.
The case comes around the same time as other alleged leaks, including of National Health Insurance, China Airlines and household registration data.
These leaks do not just involve national security or intelligence information, showing that many sectors are at risk, Chang said, calling on relevant units to bolster their defenses.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has