Migrant workers no longer need written permission from their employer to purchase a new or secondhand scooter or electric bike, the Directorate-General of Highways (DGH) said in a statement on Tuesday.
The requirement, which was introduced in 1994 for purchases by migrant workers of scooters, was abolished on Tuesday, the statement said.
The revised rules also apply to electric bikes, which are officially called “mini electric two-wheel vehicles” if they are not pedal-powered.
Photo: CNA
Owners of such vehicles have been required since Nov. 30 to apply for license plates with their local motor vehicle office, the statement said.
For those seeking to buy a scooter or electric bike from a store, the seller usually applies for license plates on behalf of buyers.
If the buyer is a foreign resident, they must provide their resident certificate, a personal seal and an automobile liability insurance certificate, a DGH official told reporters on Wednesday.
When purchasing a scooter or electric bike privately, the buyer and the seller need to register the change of ownership with a motor vehicle office, the official said.
The seller and the buyer have to provide their identification or residency cards, personal seals, the permit for the vehicle and its automobile liability insurance certificate, the official said.
The agency has put online the process to buy an electric bike in six foreign languages: English, Indonesian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Burmese and Thai, the statement said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a