The Council of Indigenous Peoples yesterday approved NT$435 million (US$13.66 million) to subsidize 23 projects to upgrade indigenous agricultural and tourism industries.
The eligible industries include agriculture with local characteristics, ecological tourism and cultural arts ventures, the council said in a statement yesterday.
The projects are part of the third stage of an industrial upgrading program operated by the agency to encourage industry development among indigenous communities, it said.
Photo courtesy of the Taitung County Government
The third stage of the program, which was launched this year and is to run until 2025, focuses on human-based values and centers on industries that are in line with the the National Development Council’s national strategic plan.
Experts from industry, government and academia are to assist a number of government agencies with organizing seminars and training sessions, and helping indigenous communities upgrade their industries based on existing foundations through branding and creating niche markets, the council said.
The first two stages of the program, which began in 2014 and lasted until last year, granted nearly NT$700 million to 28 projects, helping indigenous communities develop cultural industries, it said.
The program has generated an output value of nearly NT$2 billion in the past eight years, along with nearly 5,000 jobs, the council said.
More than 700 indigenous people have received professional certificates through the program, it added.
Tribal Food Shang and the Millet School in Taitung County, Your Mudan Touching Trip and Kasugagu in Pingtung County, Go To Datong (野趣大同) in Yilan County and Huxin Sansuan (互新三酸) in Nantou County are noted brands that emerged from cooperation between the council and local governments, it said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a